Organic Leather Bag - Sita
Handcrafted Organic Buffalo Leather Bag
- Organically tanned leather using native flora
- Stylish stitching featured on front, flap and rear of bag
- open, unlined style
- internal large pocket, great for phone and keys
- long, double reinforced shoulder strap
- leather toggle closure on front of bag
- Measures approx 26cm L x 20cm H x 9cm W
- Owing to it's organic tanning, each bag has it's own unique colour and texture
The leather is sourced from the Sarki community in Sindhupalchowk village, near the Tibet border. The Sarki people are a marginalised ethnic caste of people whose traditional leathersmith trade of shoes, farming harnesses has severely diminished due to modern fabric alternatives. The leather is tanned organically using the leaves and bark of the local sustainable 'Dhairo' bush. It has been softened and protected with mustard oil.
The design and production of this unique bag has been made by rural mountain women artisans of a Micro Enterprise Development Program that provides training and support to establish income generation.
Handmade with love by skilled, aspiring artisans in Nepal.